Thursday, December 17, 2009

Book Review: The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman



I read The Five Love Languages Singles Edition a couple of years back when I was single a few years back.

Now that I'm a married woman, I've just finished The Five Love Languages Gift Edition: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate and it has given me new insight to how I can speak others love languages to get acrosss the message efficiently and effectively to my other half.

My dearest husband has also read the guys version of The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate (Men's Edition) and we're trying to "keep our love tanks full" as Gary Chapman says.

The 5 Love Languages are:
  1. Quality Time
  2. Physical Touch
  3. Gifts
  4. Acts of Service
  5. Words of Affirmation
Each one of these love languages have different dialects, e.g. Hokkien, Cantonese, Hakka etc. Everyone can speak and hear these languages, but hear some love languages stronger than the others.

My greateast realisatiton here was that people who I care about deeply and have had a profound effect on me have spoken my key love languages fluently.

e.g. of Love languages I've experienced: My dearly departed Grandfather Ho Chin Hock spent countless hours teaching me how to play chess and to read (Quality Time), my parents have sacrificed so much in terms of time, ambition and money (Acts of Service) to provide my siblings and I with the ideal environment growing up, and continuously praised us and built up our self-confidence about our strengths (Words of Affirmation). My dearest husband has given me the gift of himself (Gifts) and puts our new family first. Hugs come all-round the family during Christmas, birthdays and other occassions (Physical Touch).

Sun Tzu said in the Art of War :
"If you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles;
If you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one;
If you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle."

"知彼知己,百戰不殆;不知彼而知己,一勝一負;不知彼,不知己,每戰必殆"

In the battle for love; this book is one weapon that can help you win a thousand battles. Recommended Read!